Benefits & Rewards
We recognise that people have commitments outside their job and we provide a highly desirable working environment that allows our employees to achieve the right work/life balance for them.
IN ADDITION TO FAIR PAY AND CAREER PROGRESSION, WE OFFER A RANGE OF BENEFITS
We want to attract and retain talented and highly-skilled staff so we make sure that our salary scales remain competitive within higher education and commercial sectors. Salary bands for each role are stated when advertised, with staff starting at the first point of the salary scale within that band and annual increments being paid each year.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity relating to pay, salary and career progression for all staff within a framework which is fair, transparent and consistent.
Bangor University actively operates two occupational pension schemes. All members of staff (between the ages of 18–60) are invited to join either one scheme or another. We also offer the option to join The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST).
Employees are able to pay via salary sacrifice to increase savings
We offer flexible working arrangements to suit your lifestyle. You will be able to discuss what works best with your line manager.
We offer a generous leave entitlement of 27 days with additional bank holidays and seven additional University holidays.
Maternity, Paternity, Parental and Adoption Leave
Maternity Leave: We provide generous maternity leave and pay for all staff, regardless of length of service.
Paternity Leave: All staff are entitled to take a maximum of two weeks off; at full pay.
Shared Parental Leave: We also offer shared parental leave which allows you and your partner to share 52 weeks’ leave for the first year. You may also be entitled to enhanced, shared parental pay for some or all of the leave you wish to take.
Adoption Leave: We offer enhanced adoption leave and pay for all staff, regardless of length of service.
Buying annual leave
Staff are able to purchase additional annual leave via a salary sacrifice arrangement.
Cycle to work scheme
The scheme allows employees to benefit from a long term hire of cycles and commuting equipment such as lights, locks and can be seen as a tax free solution to health improvement.
Tir na n-Og (the magical “land of the young” in Celtic mythology) is a non-profitmaking nursery founded by Bangor University located in Normal Site, Bangor. The Nursery is open to all, including university students and staff and members of the public.
University employees can access more affordable childcare via our salary exchange arrangement.
Employee Assistance Programme
We offer all an Employee Assistance Programme (Care First) to help staff members deal with work-life stressors, family issues, financial concerns, relationship problems, and other wider concerns. It is available to staff members and their families and aims to have a positive impact on their wellbeing.
Commitment to equality and diversity
The University adopts a number of approaches as a means of promoting and mainstreaming equality and diversity in all its activities. See our equal opportunities pages for further information.
Development & Training
We provide quality learning and development opportunities for academic and professional services staff.
In House Occupational Health provision
The University benefits from having an on site Occupational Health Practitioner.
Bangor University has teamed up with Cambrian Credit Union to offer our staff an easy way of building a nest egg or borrowing extra funds when you need them.
Other non-salary sacrifice benefits
- Staff at the University are now entitled to the same great discounts offered to students with the NUS Extra Discount Card.
- The Arriva Employer Travel Club – enables staff to access discounted bus travel on Arriva bus routes.
- Staff members are also entitled to discounted rates at the Universities Sports and Leisure facility.
- Staff at the University can now consider and apply for limited scholarships and discounted placements for their children with Myddleton College.
- Serious Cycle Scheme offers University Staff free cover.
- Mackenzie Jones Solicitors offer a discount to Bangor University staff.
- Express Conveyancing offer University Staff a discount of up to 20% on legal fees
- Hacker & Case - Staff can access 10% discount by purchasing items online.
- Cotswold Outdoor - Staff can access 15% discount in-store and online
- Corporate Discounts are available with Hertz Autotravel
- The University offers its employees excellent sporting facilities and gym memberships at discounted rates at Canolfan Brailsford
- University staff receive a corporate discount at DW Fitness Club on Caernarfon Road in Bangor.
- Staff can receive discounts on some Microsoft computer software, including Microsoft Office.